How long does it take to walk 4 miles?
If you normally walk at a brisk pace i.e (at 4mph) you can cover a single mile in 15 minutes and 4 miles will take approx. 60 minutes. Most people walk at 3.5 mph and at this speed it will take 68 minutes.
But, there are many factors involved that decide how long it will take to cover a certain distance, like-
- Sex (whether male or female)
- Walking terrain
Walking regularly is not only great for improving overall health but it also aids in weight loss!
This article is perfect for you if you are planning to start walking regularly or just looking to improve your fitness…
Is walking 4 miles in an hour good?
In this technological world where everything we do depends on technology, machines and we are surrounded by it.
Even for the basic day- to day activities we are dependent on smartphones and other gadgets.
It’s important to give your body and mind some kind of physical activity like walking, running, or meditation.
If you love walking then it can help you stay fit, lose weight, burn calories and live a healthy life.
You can incorporate walking into your workout to start improving your health gradually.
It’s important to start slowly, consistently, and then eventually you can start walking long distances per day.
But how long should it take you to walk 4 miles?
Even the average person can cover 4 miles in one hour and fifteen minutes if he walks at a constant speed, i.e 3-3.5 miles per hour.
Related: How long it takes to walk 3 miles?
How do I calculate my walking time?
These days it’s very to calculate your walking time by simply using any smartphone, pedometer or health tracker app, or fitness band.
Here is a basic 4 step process you can follow –
- Start the timer on your phone before you start walking.
- Use your phone or any fitness band for it.
- As soon you are about to stop walking, stop your timer.
- In some cases, you can set walking duration before you start walking, let’s just say for 15 min, 20 min, or 30 min walk.
Calculating walking time is very simple these days, you can even check your walking speed, distance, and everything using any app or fitness band.
One can also calculate it using the formula–
So how long does it take to walk 4 miles?
For example, the time taken to cover a 4-mile distance at a speed of 3.5 mph will be approx. 68 minutes.
Factors That Affect The Walking Time & Speed
Your walking speed & time depends on many factors and you can very easily calculate them.
Some of the important factors that affect walking speed and time are-
- The surface of the road
- Weight of person
- Age, fitness level of the person
- Your Height
Your surroundings and the food you consume all play a major role in how fast you can cover a distance walking.
Some other environmental factors like temperature, elevation, and windchill also affect your walking time.
Walking speed is influenced by several factors–
- a person’s height,
- stride length,
- body weight,
- and obesity level can all make him or her move faster or slower than someone else.
How many calories burned walking 4 miles?
The number of calories burned walking 4 miles varies and depends on the person–
- and speed.
Related: Walking tips to ease your knee pain!
Calories are a measure of energy that we use to describe how much energy we use in a day or week.
The most important factor which determines how many calories you burn is your weight and the distance you walked.
An average person very easily can burn around 50-100 calories per mile.
So, how many calories were burned walking 4 miles?
You can also use this calculator to find how many calories one can burn walking at 4 miles, 5 miles, and more distance.
Similarly, here is a tool calories burned walking calculator by which you can calculate how many calories you burned walking at 3.5 mph–
|Weight(lbs)||Walking(minutes)||Walking Speed(mph)||Calories Burned|
How to increase your walking speed?
There are many reasons why people might want to increase their walking speed and how they do this depends on the reason for wanting to walk faster.
Increase your walking speed by applying these tips:
- First and foremost make sure that you are wearing the right shoes.
- This is because the wrong shoes can affect your walking speed.
- One way that you can make your walking more efficient is by having good posture when you walk.
- This will allow you to walk faster, with less effort and a better sense of balance.
- Find Your Unique Rhythm–we all have different types of steps that we walk with, most of the time it speeds up naturally.
- Because as I would imagine, you would have more anticipation over things to come without that ever-present doubt and are likely more contented with a set pace.
- This can help increase walking at a higher speed for some.
- Shorten Your Steps–shortening the distance between each step does not increase the actual speed but makes it seem faster.
- Because it takes less effort to take a short (brief) stride forward, unlike larger ones which require more invested effort before another movement forward might be possible.
- It also helps avoid overstriding which puts too much strain on your ankle and knees.
How many steps is 4 miles?
The exact steps will be different for everyone and it depends on a lot of other factors like-
- Physical fitness
- Walking speed
The average person takes about 2,000 steps in a mile, so 4 miles would be about 8,000 steps.
You can any fitness tracker app or pedometer app on your phone to count the steps.
The app will automatically start calculating the total steps you start walking daily.
Below is a table where we have derived how many steps you can take in 4 miles for males and females–
|Gender||Height (Ft/inch)||Walking Speed (mph)||Distance (miles)||Total Steps|
Why Walking is One of the Best Physical Activities Humans Can do
What’s amazing about walking is that you don’t require any fancy equipment or some other stuff for walking, just a pair of shoes and some clothes are enough!
Over the years research has proven that walking has many health benefits like –
- Improves your mood
- Reduce the risk of diabetes
- Controls high blood pressure
- Minimizes stroke
- Even reduces the risk of developing cancer
- It also takes the edge off stress levels
Walking is a form of simple, low-impact exercise that everyone can enjoy.
If you’re new to the activity and feel like it’s too difficult, start out at a slow pace and gradually increase your speed over time.
And if you have already started walking then you are already on your way to a healthy life.
Is it better to walk longer or faster?
Walking has always been a great physical activity and it can help us–
- reduce stress levels,
- Improves the mood,
- and also boost energy levels.
Although walking is awesome in many ways, there are many factors that come into play, such as the distance you are walking and what you are trying to achieve by walking.
Always try to find a pace that suits your body and it’s best to start slow walking and then increase your speed as you go along.
If you walk too fast at first, you may exhaust yourself before the end of your walk.
- Walking at a faster pace may be better for some people.
- Also walking at a slower pace may be better for others.
- It also depends on your physical state and stamina level.
- The best solution is to try walking at different speeds.
- And then you will understand whether walking longer or faster is best for you or not.
How much walking is safe?
In a world where people are finding it hard to maintain physical and mental health, walking is the best possible way to reduce stress, and anxiety to improve your overall health.
So, how much walking is safe?
Well, it depends on lots of factors, like-
- Your age
- How fit you are?
- Type of shoes you use etc.
According to Harvard Health,” You should be walking or performing any physical activity 150 minutes per week, i.e 21 minutes per day can reduce chances of heart disease by 30%”.
In addition to that, it can also-
- Reduce the risk of diabetes and cancer.
- Lower blood pressure.
- Helps to reduce cholesterol levels.
- Improves mental sharpness.
We spend most of our time sitting down and the lack of physical activity is a huge health hazard.
However, one thing is clear: if you want to live a healthy life, it’s important to get enough exercise each day.
Still, wondering how long does it take to walk 4 miles?
It takes approx. 10,000 steps or 68 minutes to cover 4 miles if you walk regularly!
You can make a schedule to strictly walk 10,000 steps per day or walk at a fixed time of the day for at least 1 hour.
It will improve your health and reduces the risk of developing cancer also.
Have any questions feel free to comment below or you can write to us.