How long does it take to walk 3 miles?
It takes around 50 minutes to 1 hour for an average person to walk 3 miles, and you can complete 1 mile in 20-25 minutes provided you have maintained a constant walking speed.
You can also calculate walking time by using this basic physics formula:-
Just find your total distance traveled and walking speed by using any fitness tracker and you will know how much time it takes.
Many factors also play role in how quickly or slowly you will cover 3 miles like-
- Walking speed
- The terrain where you are walking
- Your body weight
- Whether walking on an Incline or decline angle
- Weather conditions etc.
There are many factors switch affect your walking speed and how long it will take to walk 3 miles!
Sometimes your age, stamina, and physical health also play a major role in how fast you can walk.
So, keep reading this article to find more on how you can easily walk 3 miles in 1 hour and is it good for your health or not!
Is walking 3 miles in an hour good?
In this technological world where everything we do depends on technology, machines and we are surrounded by it.
Even for the basic day- to day activities we are dependent on smartphones and other gadgets.
It’s important to give your body and mind some kind of physical activity like walking, running, or meditation.
If you love walking then it can help you stay fit, lose weight, burn calories and live a healthy life.
You can incorporate walking into your workout to start improving your health gradually.
It’s important to start slowly, consistently, and then eventually you can start walking long distances per day.
Even the average person can cover 3-4 miles in one hour if he is walking at a constant speed, i.e 3-3.5 miles per hour.
Related: What tones your legs more walking or running?
How do I calculate my walking time?
These days it’s very to calculate your walking time by simply using any smartphone, pedometer or health tracker app, or fitness band.
Here is a basic 4 step process you can follow –
- Start the timer on your phone before you start walking
- Use your phone or any fitness band for it.
- As soon you are about to stop walking, stop your timer.
- In some cases, you can set walking duration before you start walking, let’s just say for 15 min, 20 min, or 30 min walk.
Related: Amazing walking plan to lose your weight!
Calculating walking time is very simple these days, you can even check your walking speed, distance, and everything using any app or fitness band.
One can also calculate it using the formula–
For example, the time taken to cover a 3-mile distance at a speed of 3.5 mph will be 52 minutes.
Factors That Affect The Walking Time & Speed
Your walking speed & time depends on many factors and you can very easily calculate them.
Some of the important factors that affect walking speed and time are-
- The surface of the road
- Weight of person
- Age, fitness level of the person
- Your Height
Related: Can walking daily reduce your thigh size?
Your surroundings and the food you consume all play a major role in how fast you can cover a distance walking.
Some other environmental factors like temperature, elevation, and windchill also affect your walking time.
Walking speed is influenced by several factors–
- a person’s height,
- stride length,
- body weight,
- and obesity level can all make him or her move faster or slower than someone else.
Related: Does walking uphill really builds your muscles?
How many calories burned walking 3 miles?
The number of calories burned walking 3 miles varies and depends on the person–
- and speed.
Related: Walking tips to ease your knee pain!
Calories are a measure of energy that we use to describe how much energy we use in a day or week.
The most important factor which determines how many calories you burn is your weight and the distance you walked.
An average person very easily can burn around 50-100 calories per mile.
So, how many calories were burned walking 3 miles?
According to the calorie burned calculator, we found that a person weighing 120lbs, walking at 3.5 mph for 52 minutes covering approx. 3 miles, will burn 230 Kcal.
You can also use this calculator to find how many calories one can burn walking at 4 miles, 5 miles, and more distance.
Related: Can walking daily helps to strengthen your legs?
Similarly, here is a tool calories burned walking calculator by which you can calculate how many calories you burned walking at 3.5 mph–
|Weight(lbs)||Walking(minutes)||Walking Speed(mph)||Calories Burned|
How to increase your walking speed?
There are many reasons why people might want to increase their walking speed and how they do this depends on the reason for wanting to walk faster.
Increase your walking speed by applying these tips:
- First and foremost make sure that you are wearing the right shoes.
- This is because the wrong shoes can affect your walking speed.
- One way that you can make your walking more efficient is by having good posture when you walk.
- This will allow you to walk faster, with less effort and a better sense of balance.
- Find Your Unique Rhythm–we all have different types of steps that we walk with, most of the time it speeds up naturally.
- Because as I would imagine, you would have more anticipation over things to come without that ever-present doubt and are likely more contented with a set pace.
- This can help increase walking at a higher speed for some.
- Shorten Your Steps–shortening the distance between each step does not increase the actual speed but makes it seem faster.
- Because it takes less effort to take a short (brief) stride forward, unlike larger ones which require more invested effort before another movement forward might be possible.
- It also helps avoid overstriding which puts too much strain on your ankle and knees.
How many steps is 3 miles?
The exact steps will be different for everyone and it depends on a lot of other factors like-
- Physical fitness
- Walking speed
The average person takes about 2,000 steps in a mile, so 3 miles would be about 6,000 steps.
You can any fitness tracker app or pedometer app on your phone to count the steps.
The app will automatically start calculating the total steps you start walking daily.
Below is a table where we have derived how many steps you can take in 3 miles for males and females–
|Gender||Height (Ft/inch)||Walking Speed (mph)||Distance (miles)||Total Steps|
Why Walking is One of the Best Physical Activities Humans Can do
What’s amazing about walking is that you don’t require any fancy equipment or some other stuff for walking, just a pair of shoes and some clothes are enough!
Over the years research has proven that walking has many health benefits like –
- Improves your mood
- Reduce the risk of diabetes
- COntrols high blood pressure
- Minimizes stroke
- Even reduces the risk of developing cancer
- It also takes the edge off stress levels
Related: How walking 5 miles a day tones your legs!
Walking is a form of simple, low-impact exercise that everyone can enjoy.
If you’re new to the activity and feel like it’s too difficult, start out at a slow pace and gradually increase your speed over time.
And if you have already started walking then you are already on your way to a healthy life.
Related: Is walking around your building or locality a good exercise?
Is it better to walk longer or faster?
Walking has always been a great physical activity and it can help us–
- reduce stress levels,
- Improves the mood,
- and also boost energy levels.
Although walking is awesome in many ways, there are many factors that come into play, such as the distance you are walking and what you are trying to achieve by walking.
Always try to find a pace that suits your body and it’s best to start slow walking and then increase your speed as you go along.
If you walk too fast at first, you may exhaust yourself before the end of your walk.
- Walking at a faster pace may be better for some people.
- Also walking at a slower pace may be better for others.
- It also depends on your physical state and stamina level.
- The best solution is to try walking at different speeds.
- And then you will understand whether walking longer or faster is best for you or not.
How much walking is safe?
In a world where people are finding it hard to maintain physical and mental health, walking is the best possible way to reduce stress, and anxiety to improve your overall health.
So, how much walking is safe?
Well, it depends on lots of factors, like-
- Your age
- How fit you are?
- Type of shoes you use etc.
Related: How walking 30 minutes a day can improve your overall health!
According to Harvard Health,” You should be walking or performing any physical activity 150 minutes per week, i.e 21 minutes per day can reduce chances of heart disease by 30%”.
In addition to that, it can also-
- Reduce the risk of diabetes and cancer.
- Lower blood pressure.
- Helps to reduce cholesterol levels.
- Improves mental sharpness.
We spend most of our time sitting down and the lack of physical activity is a huge health hazard.
However, one thing is clear: if you want to live a healthy life, it’s important to get enough exercise each day.
Related: The life-changing power of daily walking!
Everyone knows walking is good for their health. The only problem is, time!
I hope now you got the idea of how long does it take to walk 3 miles!
With the help of your phone or any fitness tracker, you can easily calculate how much time it takes to walk 3 or more miles.
If you have any doubt or would like to share something feel free to comment below or send your mail.